Our Mission

FrogSpeak is a space for students to share and learn from the experiences of others aimed at fighting the stigma surrounding mental health - one story at a time.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Simple Conversation

This past year, I had a friend commit suicide. To be honest, I didn’t even believe it when I got the call from one of my friends after it had happened. He was always so loving and caring to everyone around him that it shielded his inner depression from the world. Apparently he had been suffering with depression for quite some time and had also been battling other issues as well: anger, alcohol abuse, etc. This really hit me hard because I had no idea he was suffering.

After I got off the phone with my friend, I immediately began to blame myself for not reaching out to him more. I should have jumped on more opportunities to talk to him. I should have invested more of my time getting to know him. I should have been a better friend. However, I realized that blaming myself wouldn’t change the situation. Therefore I started devoting more of my time to others around me. I began serving more at my church by becoming a leader of first impressions for the college/career ministry there. In this position, I was able to meet so many different people, which provided me the opportunity to speak encouragement in their lives. I have learned that through the giving of myself, I have received more than I could have ever imagined.

Sometimes a simple conversation can have a big impact on individual’s lives. A one-minute chat could mean the world to another person, just because it shows you care enough to talk to them. I hope and pray that people understand the importance and value in investing time in other people. Individuals suffering with depression, anxiety, anger, grief, stress, etc. have to be able to understand that they are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment